INTRODUCTIONS: Who are you & why are you here? :)

Daniel, thats a god name and mine as well. First I want to say I am not looking for something for nothing. I would very much like to assist in expanding your community. I have an extensive IT background. I will also tell you I have one eye and one ear and a rebuilt leg. AGAIN, I’m not looking for a hand out. I will gladly offer my assistance in anyway I can.

Seize The Day.
Daniel R .Fort Worth Texas

1 Like

I like to think that I’m smart but I bought and setup a Gotenna Mesh and I can’t figure out how to register it on the map.

1 Like

You should see a + sign near the upper right corner of the node map. Click it to add an entry.

Hello!
I think this effort is a really really good idea! I sincerely hopes gotenna mesh “goes big”!

RonH

Tadd. I work in Research Triangle Park (RTP) which is South Durham North Carolina.
My business is digital packet systems including Mesh, though every application I’ve worked on so far is indoor, very short range.
I’ve been a data communications hobbyist for 35 years doing what Amateur Radio Operators call “packet radio”. I started a web site for an Amateur (Ham) Radio long range data project which we style as Off-The-Grid Social Networking. The local website is NCPACKET.net and we have a global technology website TARPN.org - The GoTenna project has really got my attention and I’d love to play a part in making a fixed network available for participants in and around RTP.
I have a 50’ high antenna location on the north end of Davis Drive which is begging for a GoTenna relay. I can get power up there and place one of the portables, if that is what is indicated. Anybody in my building (FFVC) could link through it, and I suspect that people down the road at the Frontier Building could do another relay permitting Frontier and First Flight to send traffic back and forth. This sounds like fun.
Is there any interested in building a fixed infrastructure in RTP?
Tadd

1 Like

Hello! I am Jordan, a SLC Utah native that has been interested in GoTenna and mesh networking for quite some time. I have traveled extensively and have seen the benefits of a GoTenna system. I am currently living in downtown SLC and I want to try and mesh a urban area of about 20 square miles using a series or nodes set to relay as a backup system in case of a emergency. Any help or starting resources would be appreciated.

1 Like

I am Vince Cate. I live in the Caribbean island of Anguilla. I have 4 sons. We did a robot boat using an Android phone years ago (see http://www.islandboys.ai) and now want to do a new project. A friend in Anguilla has Fish Aggregating Devices anchored out in the ocean that provide habitat for fish and good fishing for him. There are a bunch of these but a few miles between them. My idea is to have a phone and gotenna at each one to make our own mesh network out in the ocean. The phone will do some image classification to count fish and birds. Then when we are nearby any of the nodes we can check which FADs have the most fish at the current time and go fish by those. I am guessing people use python for custom code working with Gotenna?

1 Like

We are Mike and Trish. We love our goTenna’s. We are in Medical Lake, WA. We use our goTenna’s every where we go. Also we like to use them for a Repeater.

1 Like

Hi,

We DesertDrifter and Desert Bunny. We are in Medical Lake, WA, We love our goTenna’s, we use them all the time. And we like leaving them on so that way the message can get across need to be. Also we have one setup as a Repeater. We used to be Ham Operators also. We even took class to be Weather Operators because we lived in Tornado Alley. That didn’t pan out because well they acted like children. And when we would try to reach each other somebody would always break in just like CB world. Enough is enough so we came to goTenna and love it. We would like to get to know people and maybe have a group chat or something like that. We have a Facebook page it’s called Medical Lake goTenna just starting out don’t have much but come by and check us out. Thank you for allowing us to join goTenna coummunity. God Bless, Mike and Trish :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Mike and Trish,

Welcome to goTenna Community, and thank you for using our product.

Naz

Hi Naz,

Thank you for the invite.

God Bless,
Mike and Trish

1 Like

Hi Everyone, TJ from Atlanta here. I’m a new user and I was wondering how specifically do we communicate through the app and my goTeena device with other users. Do I have to have their phone number or can I put in someone’s GID or User name to say hello?
Thanks.

You need either form of GUID - either their cell number (if the same as the GUID) or the randomly generated GUID - in order to send messages that hop between relays.

For direct messages to any other unit in range (i.e. without the need for a relay), you can use a Shout, which you should keep in mind is not encrypted.

Hi everybody! I’m Oscar, a self-considered prepper from Colombia!

I spend plenty of my time looking for any way in which i could improve my current preparedness plan, which focus mainly on urban dwelling; being it either implementing a new tool, gadget or system that could cover a lacking area or even trying to create them myself!

I’ve known GoTenna since its start on kickstarter and it got my attention there, but couldn’t support the project back then. Some years later i was curious about how they were doing only to find out that GoTenna mesh is actually pushing a rather revolutionary concept, and i knew i wanted to be part of it!

I just got my first two nodes a couple days ago and right of the bat i got one of them stuck in firmware update hell, hoping to work it around.

I envision GoTenna to be my “plan B” communication system whenever i get to assist to a con, on a camping or trekking trip or maybe as part of my interest in becoming a first responder! I’m actually eager to see it expand and test it out!

1 Like

Oscar,

Thank you for supporting goTenna and welcome to goTenna Mesh community!

Best,
Naz

1 Like

Thanks! very glad to be here and to share whatever experience i get from these! :+1:

1 Like

Hi Tadd, I’m also a Ham for 32 yrs, in the 80’s I used “packet radio” to text messages to friends and connect to others 80 miles away.
Because of that I got a pair of Gotenna Mesh. I was impressed with the range for 900mhz, I lived in a small campground (1sq mile) in Fort Myers FL and tested them there with no problem. Now I live in Winter Garden FL, I will try them here. I also have 2 Motorola DLR radios on 900mhz, they work great.
Carlos KA9JYO

I too am an attorney and cryptocurrency advocate, but I’m located in lower Manhattan New York City. I would love to connect with the goTenna community here or abroad to help strengthen the network and build applications that could be useful during good and bad times. Be safe out there!

Hi, I’m Mike in Boise, Idaho. My day job is Building Information Modeling. Off-work, I’m a volunteer firefighter, a ham, an outdoorsman, and a relentless tinkerer, amongst many other things. Let me tell you, the tinkerer in me is defintely signing on to the MOAN project!

I’m here because I have an interest in diversifying the communication capabilities of our small rural mountain community just outside of the city of Boise, and I have long-believed that mesh networking is the way to do it.

I found goTenna because of my interest in ATAK, but alas, I don’t have a .gov or .mil account, so I’m dead in the water there for now. Hopefully, goTenna sees fit to open the consumer plugin for ATAK-CIV/GoTenna Mesh back up, and see it for the gateway drug to the Pro and ProX that it is, for those po-broke little fire departments like ours. :wink:
Oh yeah, I’m also a big advocate of decentralization, which dovetails in quite nicely.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m Chris Marshall. I live in Long Island, New York.

Basically, I’m “semi-retired,” but I work harder every day than I ever did at an office.

I write native Apple software in Swift. I’ve been writing software since 1983, starting as an EE, writing embedded stuff for a defense contractor that did specialized microwave stuff, and decided I liked software a lot more than hardware, so I’ve been working on software ever since.

I’ve been writing open-source software for over twenty years, so I have a fairly massive portfolio of stuff. I write code every day, and have recently done some training stuff with Core Bluetooth (Apple’s Bluetooth LE implementation).

I have done a LOT of work with non-profits. Some of the software that I’ve written has become a worldwide standard, and I’m starting to do some work with a friend that is setting up his own NPO.

I am particularly interested in mesh radio systems, as I like to help people that help people. I have also started to poke around with Meshtastic, which is an open-source mesh system. It looks like GT has a pretty mature setup, though, and I’d like to write some software for it.

I have a couple of Mesh units, but they are currently paperweights, as I have been unable to get the Bluetooth specs for them. I don’t want to use the SDK. I want to write my own. I’ve been writing SDKs for over 30 years, so I think I can probably avoid hashing it up.

1 Like