Los Angeles, California

That is great news. I am part of CERT community emergency response team in Battalion 12. I am working on getting our members setup with gotennas. We just had a wave of purchases and I will try to get my relay node up asap. I live on glenoaks and vinedale. I will setup a node on top of my 3 story building. I would love to do some testing with you guys. Please let me know if you would like to. Thank you.

Richard Rosenberg

2 Likes

Iā€™m within a few miles of you near Woodbury University in Burbank. Iā€™ll be experimenting with a relay node soon. Iā€™m hopeful we could communicate directly.

1 Like

That is great news. My email is richard.rosenberg@yahoo.com Please sent me a message so I could give you my phone number. Thank you.

1 Like

Sounds good. Will send you an email.

1 Like

I set up my extra goTenna with a spare smartphone so I could do my own distance tests and check on battery levels. This setup is way more beneficial than a simple relay node because you can get actual feed back instead of just blinking lights.

I put the goTenna high up in the rafters of my garage with the charger plugged into an outlet.

Anyway I tested out my setup and Iā€™m able to get 4.5 miles of distance to the west and cover pretty much all of Lake View Terrace since Iā€™m up high on a hill in the Sunhill Estates. Iā€™m kind of screwed to the east since Iā€™m not at the top of my hill but I can get about a mile of you distance yourself from the base of my hill

5 Likes

I am part of CERT ( Community Emergency Response Team) from Battalion 12. It looks like you are in B12 also. I am trying to build a gotenna mesh network for our team. I have several of our members that recently bought some gotennas. One is in Sylmar and one is in Pacoima of I am not wrong. I would love to coordinate some testing. I am in Sun Valley close to Glenoaks and Sunland. I have a node on the third floor in the window but maybe at the end of the week Iā€™ll have it up on the roof. I wanted to install a node on one of the mountain peaks so I could cover the valley but I will wait until gotenna comes up with a solution for remote checking a relay node.

2 Likes

if you set up your spare goTenna as a Relay Node there is no way to check in on it remotely but if you set it up with a spare device you can set up a 1on1 chat with it to verify that itā€™s still up and running. I set my spare up with an old cell phone but you can also use a tablet. Just connect it to a Google Voice number. Then you can do your own distance tests.

Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been testing my system. It works perfectly for me and Iā€™ve been able to test as far as Hansen Dam from my home in Sunland.

Capture

If you want to test with my Permanent goTenna it has a GID of 1323-6961-334

2 Likes

Thank you for the GID. I will do some testing when I go for work through La Tuna Canyon and 210 East.

1 Like

Anyone here in the Venice/Santa Monica area? I have a friend that wants to do some range testing and it might be good to coordinate a day/time when others could also have their relays going.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Westwood and sometimes head towards Santa Monica. Does your friend have a pingable relay set up?

Hey folks, I just discovered this awesome community. Iā€™d like to set up some relays, and Iā€™m curious how far people have hopped in LOS ANGELES. The area seems pretty well covered with relay nodes in some areas. Does anyone have any recent distance results with hops?

1 Like

You might find this video interesting. It was more of a fun demonstration than a serious distance test. I would expect you could do some good tests along the boardwalk though with two people on bikes (or electric scooters) going in opposite directions.
https://youtu.be/e9ua21bBCsc

1 Like

Hi all. Iā€™ve located a full time relay node in NW Burbank. The node is about 15ā€™ above the ground with good line of sight to most of the eastern San Fernando Valley including much of Burbank.

The GID is 9050 1144 1103 16 . Iā€™m curious if anybody nearby can successfully ping it. Looking forward to any contacts with other mesh believers. You may also try to reach my other GTM which is often within range of the relay node, its GID is 9207 0203 5227 93 .

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great. I will give it a try. I am in Sun Valley and I also have a permanent now up on the roof of my 3 story building. I am having a hard time getting to keep it powered with a solar panel and a backup battery, even with the new hardware version it is still not staying on for some reason. But I will power it up again and try to ping the one you have us the info and see what happens.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Westwood and have a node set up near Sunset and Veteran. GID 9230 0944 5063 68
Please ping if youā€™re in the area.

2 Likes

I have turned on my node in Sun Valley roughly Glenoaks and Vinedale and tried pinging your node without success. My nodeā€™s GID is 9315 0647 0173 97. It is located 10ā€™ above a 3 story building so it should cover a large area. Please try out if you are around this area.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Iā€™ve saved your GIDs and will attempt to ping when Iā€™m nearby. No luck from my home location.

It seems there is enough of the hill between my node and RichY to prevent communication. Hopefully some additional nodes will join us in the East SFV.

1 Like

Murrietaā€¦ which HAM repeater did you access for the Lilac fire? Curious as I volunteer as a fire lookout on Palomar mountain and have been looking for repeaters to connect to while on the mountain.
Thanks, 73 KR6TFD

1 Like

Heya, I moved to Menifee a year ago. I didnā€™t really access the repeater since I donā€™t have a license. It was the Fallbrook repeater. I looked it up online the day before and hat my radio (and scanner app) set to it because the first responder frequencies where just too crowded to listen with just one ear. The conversations on the repeater gave me a good picture what was going on. When we left Fallbrook the cellphone network started to crumble, especially data. So the Google maps was worthless in the car. Twitter etc. gone as well. My TomTom of course didnā€™t catch the closed off roads. The essential information was back then that the Old Highway 395 to the 15 was closed. Many cars had to turn around. I think I ended up on the 76 without getting into too much traffic. Thanks for being up there. It really means a lot to me. You might like this one: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5b8fPBg4r/

1 Like

I wonder if you have access to your roof and could set a node up there if it will be able to reach my node. My mind is 10ā€™ higher than the roof of a 3 story building so maybe some elevation in your side would help if at all possible. People should receive an incentive through the app for keeping the device on 24/7. Daniela@gotenna please think about this and implement if possible.

1 Like