INTRODUCTIONS: Who are you & why are you here? :)

Hi,
I am a gen 1 (has 4) user who just received his first mesh pair in the mail today. Can’t wait to test them out. I think we can all agree that when the catastrophic happens… we all want / need a way to communicate with our loved ones… so I was very happy to stumble upon goTenna and I am very thankful to you for creating these and this community.
-Billy

2 Likes

Not yet a goTenna owner, but strongly interested the mesh concept, and the applications. Plan to set up a remote relay in the near future. Looking forward to learning more.

3 Likes

Here in BVI went through Irma - pretty much outdoors praying for life - had major difficulties with comms afterwards and shoulda – just shouted out please get this here!! here is my credit card - but more storms and climbing thru bush to retrieve house parts got the better of me - SO NOW building up and testing network with friends getting amazing range! Working with other islands on extending down island. Thank you to you @danielagotenna

3 Likes

The reason I’m here is because I saw a TED talk wherein this project was looking to incentivize users.
The reason I found this video is because I had come up with my own idea for a mesh home to home communication, which I then posted on the SAFE network’s forum which can be found here https://safenetforum.org/t/local-internet-infastructure/21856
I’m happy to answer any questions and I’m looking forward to getting started interfacing my idea with this current solution.

1 Like

I am Tom Funke I bought 4 goTenna(s) over a year ago and just got 4 goTenna Mesh radios today (2018-Mar-01). Very interested in mesh capability. I set up one mesh as a stationary relay at my home (MoultonboroNH_SuissevaleTF1). I will be using the others primarily when hiking. I run a hiking group which normally has 12-24 hikers over 50 each weekend in the NH White Mountains and surrounding area. Such a large group can spread out as much as 1/2 mile+ along the trail. We normally use GMRS radios, but these require someone to respond to determine who’s where. Ideally the location auto-reply feature will make this more reliable and easier.

2 Likes

Howdy, I’m Art.

Live in Wyoming. I picked up the gotenna mesh after some looking into them to use for a variety of reasons. Being my towns emergency manager these looked like effective tools to use for communication in a location that has spotty cell service either ways.

very much interested to see if can use 4 gotenna mesh to create a relay grid within an area.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey. I’m ghost. I typically linger in the dense boreal forests up north. I enjoy the smell of wet moss in the mornings.

In all seriousness, the GoTenna Mesh is what caught my attention and I can’t wait to see where this project is headed. Kudos to GoTenna and all the people who have put time and effort into developing this awesome tech.

~ ghost

2 Likes

Heya, I’m Archer (aka “feedle” in many circles, amateur radio callsign N0DOS). Just picked up two Meshes while wandering at a local REI here in Denver, and thought this was a cool thing to try out. I’m a huge hardware hacker, and I’m encouraged by the stuff I’ve seen people do already with this hardware!

BTW, what’s with all the nodes in Stapleton? Is there some kind of organized group in Denver?

1 Like

Hi, my name is Daniel Brennan. I live in Smiths Falls, Ontario. Here to strengthen the regional mesh network and also have an alternative to Internet connectivity for text/GPS on my smartphone.

I like that goTenna made use of existing technology and that it is a people powered network. In 2014, as I was driving the backroads “spotting” for photography, I wondered what off-grid technology existed and quickly focused in on goTenna. Ever since then, I’ve been following the forward progression of the Brooklyn, New York -based company.

Finally decided to jump onboard with the Mesh, received the devices today and couldn’t be happier.

2 Likes

Hello
My name is Bill and I just purchased six goTenna unit’s to start building up the Philadelphia and NJ area. I currently have three stationary relays setup. One in Philly in a building on the 10th floor, one in the Camden area on the 2nd floor of a building and one in my home. I’m looking for a few people in the area to do some range testing.

I’m a HAM (KB3QEM) and like working with PSK-31 and the Winlink global email system (Email over HF radio)

Some of my relays (house and office)
IMG_4006

My latest HF radio “go kit”

5 Likes

Well I work full time and go to school at night so I don’t really have a lot of extra time. What’s involved with setting something like that up? I don’t have a problem starting a thread and responding to a few people but I don’t have time for events or anything like that.

1 Like

As an amateur radio operator since 1973 I’m fascinated by anything radio and providing repeaters is just the right thing to do. Really hope to see more local people using mesh. You should consider advertising on Nextdoor. Not the greatest community but a lot of people are up there.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I wanted to quickly introduce myself. My name is Kelsey, and I just joined the goTenna team today.

A little about me–I love to watch horror movies, bake casseroles, and talk about my cat (a Maine Coon called Alice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello - I’m brand new to GoTenna Mesh…just received the devices yesterday. I purchased them because I am going on a 6 weeks cruise and was hoping they work with my fellow travellers who also purchased devices. I’m not quite sure, however, what settings I should have my phone on when I am at sea in order to text with others who have devices on the ship. Should I be in airplane mode with bluetooth on?

3 Likes

Yes, airplane mode with Bluetooth on. You only need Bluetooth to communicate to the goTenna Mesh unit. This will save your battery life as it will not be continuously searching for a cell signal. Not sure how many units you have but if you have one extra you may want to set it up as a relay in someone’s cabin. This will give you a hop point and better overall coverage.

2 Likes

Thank you so very much for the assistance ! I will report back how well it worked. :smile:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I’m Randy from Pittsburgh Pa. I was searching for camping tech when I saw GoTenna and loved the idea immediately. I go to Canada every year on a fishing trip to a fairly remote place with no electricity and no cell service. The best walkies we bought were absolutely lying about their range so I’m trying these this year. Sounds perfect and I hope it catches on everywhere.

3 Likes

Hi I’m into gadgets and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

5 Likes

Hi, Mark from Mukilteo, WA, 1/2 hr north of Seattle on Puget Sound. I’m here bc I was interested in the goTenna, then discovered the goTenna Mesh - don’t have mine yet but I LOVE the capability. I hadn’t had a plan yet for communication with local family if crap happens, & this sounds ideal.
I was also blown away also to see the map of mesh nodes. I’ll be on a boat trip soon, some out of phone range & am looking forward to trying it out.

2 Likes

Hello world! My name is Mark from Virginia Beach, VA. I am here because I love the idea of being able to comunicate with out relying on companies. That got me into the world of HAM Radio, which by the way still need to take the exam so I can get my license. So far I only went the lame route and got my GMRS license (WQWJ449). So naturally the gotenna mesh does seem like a valuable too/equipment to have. I havent bought my first set yet, but that will be very soon :sunglasses:

Can’t wait to see what the community comes up with especally the DIY’ers and really diggin the MOAN Project.

Cheers

3 Likes