INTRODUCTIONS: Who are you & why are you here? :)

I am here because of bitcoin, you’ll find me on twitter at @DuncanI85589090

I have plugged in and put in relay mode my goTenna out on my porch on the second floor - is this a workable setup and can I leave it there indefinitely? It has a weather box around the 110 outlet and the goTenna, USB micro cable, and USB adapter all fit in there.

How do you self report your node without giving away your home address? I’m staying anon

Thanks for your reply!

Welcome! sounds like a good setup for running a relay node. Because you are self reporting, you can place your pin on the imeshyou map anywhere nearby, it doesn’t have to be your actual location.

Thanks for contributing to the network.

Since you are interested in Bitcoin, you should check out our incentive protocol Lot49 which is described on the Global Mesh Labs web site. :slight_smile:

I remember seeing the gotenna version one on kick starter and I thought it sounded really cool. I really had no purpose for the device because, I had a cell phone that worked well outside. My family is now old enough to have cell phones and while at a family outing at Six Flags Fiesta Texas, we did not have cell phone coverage while using Sprint (myself and girls) and T-mobile (Wife). So I started looking around and found version two of the product. I purchased the items and plan on returning to Fiesta Texas to communicate with the family when we get separated.

2 Likes

Hi Jay,
Welcome to the mesh. If you like to hike, you’ll find them pretty useful.

I haven’t used the Garmin system, so can’t directly compare. The mesh works pretty quickly, in fact almost instantaneously if yours are the only two around and they are working directly between each other. If you’re someplace where there’s a mesh network available, it may take a minute or so to get a confirmation back when it hops across a few nodes, but generally takes less than a minute.

I’ve never been to New Zealand, but have a pen pal who lives on the North Island who I met through a mutual interest in model trains.

Yeah, you’re going to enjoy much faster messaging, although I’d guess that InReach has a long range, what with a satellite and all to help.

Once you’ve got an idea of what the individual units can do, adding more gives significant advanatges. You can then leave one in a high location to provide better range by using the hopping feature.

As for the caravan, if the roof is metal it provides impressive performance. I have one mounted in an old plastic pickle jar that I added a magnet to the jar lid and painted it green to match the truck. More on this in my Urbana thread.

If you want to lend them out, Unpair them first (in Settings), have your friends get the App on their phone then you can have them Pair to them. Same thing in reverse, plus all your data should be memorized in the App.

Join our Facebook group for Charlotte: https://www.facebook.com/groups/charlottegoTennaMesh

Hi, I’m new to the goTenna community. I live in Williamsburg, VA and plan to set up a relay node in the next 30 days or so, once I’ve had a chance to experiment a little. I’ll eventually transition to a MOAN, once I find someone who can help with adding the SMA connector. I’ve seen the images and the descriptions on the forum, but I really need a good step-by-step description with images.

Hi shadock, I’m an IT engineer from Paris too. I was thinking about buying the goTenna for me and all my family but I would like to see it in action before buying it…
Are you available for a demonstration?

Hey there - I’m a goTenna user, I like to remain incognito but I can say I’m an eastcoast user, love data science, coding, Cryptography and enjoy all sorts of technology! Drop me a line!

Same here. I am from Romania, interested in setting up a self powered relay.

Thanks in advance for you oppinions.

Bitcoiner, Husband, Dad
Practicing architect but also techy hobbyist contributing to open source projects focused on privacy.
As a dad of 2 young girls I’m mainly here learning how to build a private communication network for them and their friends as they get old enough to have mobile devices.
Really excited thinking of the possibilities with gotenna and other open source collaborations.
Happy to lend a hand where needed.

1 Like

Exploring different ways to practice secure/private communications and learn as much as possible along the way. Based out of Chicago and curious to know if anyone is working towards an Ambassador Program in Chicago so that I can contribute as much as I can!

Hi :wave:
You may start in the #regional-groups area. There is a Chicago thread there/

Daniel, thats a god name and mine as well. First I want to say I am not looking for something for nothing. I would very much like to assist in expanding your community. I have an extensive IT background. I will also tell you I have one eye and one ear and a rebuilt leg. AGAIN, I’m not looking for a hand out. I will gladly offer my assistance in anyway I can.

Seize The Day.
Daniel R .Fort Worth Texas

1 Like

I like to think that I’m smart but I bought and setup a Gotenna Mesh and I can’t figure out how to register it on the map.

1 Like

You should see a + sign near the upper right corner of the node map. Click it to add an entry.

Hello!
I think this effort is a really really good idea! I sincerely hopes gotenna mesh “goes big”!

RonH

Tadd. I work in Research Triangle Park (RTP) which is South Durham North Carolina.
My business is digital packet systems including Mesh, though every application I’ve worked on so far is indoor, very short range.
I’ve been a data communications hobbyist for 35 years doing what Amateur Radio Operators call “packet radio”. I started a web site for an Amateur (Ham) Radio long range data project which we style as Off-The-Grid Social Networking. The local website is NCPACKET.net and we have a global technology website TARPN.org - The GoTenna project has really got my attention and I’d love to play a part in making a fixed network available for participants in and around RTP.
I have a 50’ high antenna location on the north end of Davis Drive which is begging for a GoTenna relay. I can get power up there and place one of the portables, if that is what is indicated. Anybody in my building (FFVC) could link through it, and I suspect that people down the road at the Frontier Building could do another relay permitting Frontier and First Flight to send traffic back and forth. This sounds like fun.
Is there any interested in building a fixed infrastructure in RTP?
Tadd

1 Like

Hello! I am Jordan, a SLC Utah native that has been interested in GoTenna and mesh networking for quite some time. I have traveled extensively and have seen the benefits of a GoTenna system. I am currently living in downtown SLC and I want to try and mesh a urban area of about 20 square miles using a series or nodes set to relay as a backup system in case of a emergency. Any help or starting resources would be appreciated.

1 Like