Can't upgrade firmware past 1.1.8

I have 4 gotenna mesh units that won’t upgrade to the latest 1.1.12. No response from support@gotenna.com.

Running Android app version 5.0.2.

I’ve kept them fully charged and paired to an up to date android device for over 24 hours. I’ve cleared the app cache, uninstalled the android app, unpaired, re-paired, many different times, in many different combinations. Followed all the instructions here: https://support.gotennamesh.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022845872-Firmware-Update.

These 4 that won’t upgrade their firmware all have the oldest serial numbers of all my units:
MX 182 103 36
MX 182 103 56
MX 182 105 10
MX 182 114 67

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Support doesn’t work weekends, but they will get back to you.

Do you have access to a iPhone? Pairing with it may solve this, then unpair and go back to your Android to see if that shook things loose.

My initial email was sent on 5/27 - a week ago today. I did manage to get an iOS device to try the unjamming, but with no luck.

Hi James,

You may need the goTenna app that has the ‘engineering’ menu - this was sent to me by Warren from goTenna.

I upgraded my non-upgradable (from the Play Store) 1.1.8 units to 1.1.12 using that custom APK. However I think the link is only for those who it’s been shared to Google Drive. I’ll try to put it up on a mirror… but use at your own risk - since there’s some intimidating warning menus before you do certain processes.

And apparently I have one more 1.1.8 straggler. So here’s the flow…

1 Like

Hey James, I just PM’d you!

Not sure why we aren’t seeing your email but we can get you squared away.

1 Like

Hi Nate, I am having the same issue with my four units could you please share the fix? Cheers

I am also unable to upgrade 2 brand new units. I bought 4, 2 of which are running 1.1.8, 2 of which are running 1.1.12. When I pair one of the 1.1.8 units, and go into the “About” menu, no update button appears as is listed in the instructions. Any ideas?

Note this quote from the update page if you are having issues with the update…

“If you do not see this button, and you’re on a firmware version prior to 1.1.8, please contact support@gotenna.com for additional assistance.”

If you’re already on 1.1.8 and are having problems you can use the same contact point. Meanwhile, I’ll be giving this update a try myself to see if that yields any insights.

Update: Looking this over, I see where Nate updated the firmware update page 6 days ago. I don’t see anything about a 1.1.12 update that generally applies to GTM devices. I suspect this is perhaps in reference to the SDK? There’s no blue update button on any of the several devices I have on hand.

Just a quick note about the 1.1.12 firmware update that I confirmed this morning. It applies only to the Python SDK and is functionally identical to 1.1.8. Unless you’re running the Python SDK, you will not see a button to upgrade the firmware to 1.1.12 and you will not be missing out on any function.

As of today it is not possible to upgrade the firmware from 1.1.8 to 1.1.12 without sending the units back to GoTenna. That was the response I got from their support team. That is very unfortunate because it’s very time consuming and I had to pay steep import taxes to import them into Germany.

Is there a reason why the described method above was abandonded? Will it be possible in the near future to upgrade the mesh to 1.1.12 myself? I was hoping to use the python usb sdk for a prototype my company is developing right now.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Thomas,
Per my note above, the 1.1.12 update applies ONLY to the SDK distribution. There is no corresponding update applicable to the goTenna Mesh device firmware. Everything should work on the GTM without it.

Now, it is possible that something has changed since my previous inquiry, so I am curious about the response you received from support. Perhaps they did not understand the nature of your request?

My question

"Hi Gotenna-Team,

I would like to update my gotenna (mesh) firmware to support python usb
sdk. I read in the SDK zone that I need version 1.1.12 for this. How can
this be done?

Thanks for your help!"

Reply:

"Hello Thomas,

There is no functional difference between 1.1.8 and 1.1.12. Version.
1.1.12 was put out to support SDK python via USB.

Unfortunately it is not possible to update to 1.1.12 from 1.1.8.

If you want 1.1.12 you would have to return your 1.1.8 unit in exchange.
If that is something you want to do let us know and we will give you further instructions.

All the best"

I hope I understood that wrong. So I can use the Python SDK with USB when my GoTenna firmware is at 1.1.8? That’s great! In that case my error message is not related to the firmware.

ERROR:goTenna.driver.Driver:SDK not supported, not X-Device product pro!
ERROR:goTenna.driver.Driver:Error during device handshake

I get similar errors like the users in this thread:

But the suggested fix (upgrading to 1.1.12) is not available anymore:

Please help :slight_smile:

Yeah, I see the problem. The two distributions currently have some sort of token difference. See this thread: Interoperability of SDK and GoTenna App?

I think that for now they want to differentiate between the use of goTenna Mesh for communications and the SDK use, which seems focused on the internet of things. Or something like that.

Hey all, the only difference between 1.1.8 and 1.1.12 is the ability to use the SDK over USB. Otherwise you will be able to use the SDK with an Android or iOS device using Bluetooth on 1.1.8.

If your goTenna Mesh was on an older firmware and recently got “stuck” updating to 1.1.8 after you tried pairing it again, you can use the instructions on this firmware update article.

1 Like

Is there an updated iOS app to get 1.1.12? Mine shows up to date on app release 5.3.2.

the referenced article was good, what worked for me to update one GTM from .8 to .12 from my older android phone was:

• fully charge android phone and GTM
  • turn off other gtm
  • turn off bt on other nearby devices
  • unpair gtm
  • uninstall gtm app (android)
  • install gtm app and setup/pair gtm (use random ID, left em blank, set a different username than prev)

After all that, once device was paired and my android phone was on the internet I was automatically prompted to ask if I wanted to update to firmware v 1.1.12

YMMV, I did this a few times over the last ~year and today it worked

73, kk4zuu

Hi Nate,

I know this post is old, but do you happen to still have that custom APK? I have a couple version 1 GoTenna devices that are on an early firmware version, and I would love to update them so the app works correctly.

Thanks.