What is a Node?

New to goTenna and Mesh networking… I still haven’t received my 4 goTenna mesh devices yet…but once I do, I want to hit the ground running! So I am trying to get up to speed on how everything works… So looking on the goTenna map of my area, there are very few nodes. Are these locations that have the devices powered up? Sorry if this has been addressed already…just trying to figure it all out!

1 Like

Great question! A “node” in the sense we’re talking about is as follows (per Wikipedia):

In telecommunications networks, a node (Latin nodus, ‘knot’) is either a redistribution point or a communication endpoint. The definition of a node depends on the network and protocol layer referred to. A physical network node is an active electronic device that is attached to a network, and is capable of creating, receiving, or transmitting information over a communications channel

So a node in the goTenna Mesh network is any goTenna Mesh device. We’ve broadly categorized them (for now) on our map as two different kinds:

1. Area node(s): “Area nodes show general locations where meshers regularly use their devices.”
  2. Stationary relay node(s): “Stationary relay nodes show where meshers have placed stationary, continuously powered-on devices (e.g. connected to wall outlets, solar power, etc.)”

Let me know if that makes sense, and welcome!

1 Like

P.S. It’s also worth noting that the nodes you see on the imeshyou.com network map do not encompass all the goTenna Mesh devices out there — it’s basically opt-in. So there’s definitely a chance there are other goTenna Mesh devices in your area but they just aren’t on the map. Or, of course, since we only started shipping in mid-late July, it’s certainly possible you’re the “mesh founder” in your area (or will be soon when you get your devices).

With time we will build clearer connections between the hardware/app and imeshyou.com so we don’t only attract the early-adopters or strongest enthusiasts… although, of course, that’s not a bad place to start! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.