Onboarding UI updates to the goTenna app - Cast your vote now!

Dear Meshers,

Based on your feedback, we are planning to update the onboarding experience in the goTenna app via an upcoming app release. Here are 3 design options we are currently considering. Cast your vote below and tell us which option you like the best!

Which onboarding design do you like the most?

• Option #1
  • Option #2
  • Option #3

0 voters

I like Option 1 and 2 but I’d take our votes here with a grain of salt as we probably more highly index for early-adopters… and you want this to be clear/accessible to a mainstream user. For that reason, Option 1 is probably the best for the most people

2 Likes

Stop overlaying text on images. Seriously guys! Use high contrast and larger font sizes than you think are necessary- not every user has great eyesight.

4 Likes

Totally agree with you!

Working with the limited space, graphics waste space. Text is not pretty but efficient…Besides color blind people need higher contrast.

1 Like

Hi dbfish, I lead design at goTenna. Thanks for this. Making our app experiences accessible for folks with low vision is important to us! We’ll keep it top of mind as these designs evolve.

1 Like

Hi kb1eea, I lead design at goTenna. Thank you for your feedback. I absolutely agree with you—as these designs evolve, we’ll be designing with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) contrast ratio guidelines in mind.

1 Like

Hi @michaelryap - you guys have made a great app but there is always room for improvement!

I like the look and contrast of option 2 the most other than the overlapping text in the first image (an option would be to darken the image as it drops behind the text with a black gradient), although option 1 is probably closer to your branding but needs to be toned down a little.

While we are discussing onboarding - The more pet peeve changes I would suggest first is to add another screen explaining the security risk of using your own phone number (it gets sent in plain text over radio waves with every message) vs a GID, and if they select GID, how to send a test shout message to tap and easily save your friends GIDs as contacts. At a minimum, make the “Use a GID instead” button more accessible than a line of text. And in the next screen asking for an email address, on an iPhone 5 SE the button to continue without email is not visible under the keyboard (some people still use small phones and like them). Lastly and this was addressed in another thread, go through the Gotenna Plus features but then have a “Not now” button to be able to start the trial at a later date.

Also, I would LOVE for the dark messaging interface of Pro to be an option…!! Thanks for all your work so far. It’s wonderful to be part of a project that is so open to community feedback.

2 Likes

Hi @michaelryap, coming from the gotenna v1 to the gotenna mesh I noticed a change (sorry if I’m not explaining this well) in how contacts numbers are being read or recognized on your phone. What I mean is when I first used the gotenna 1 I didn’t have to add the country code (1) to any phone number stored in my contact list in order for gotenna to see my contacts. Switching to the gotenna mesh I noticed that you have to have or add the country code in front of your stored contact number (or any new contact you add) before you can send a message. If your contact number is missing the country code then the message will not be delivered. I know you guys have a message that explains this but do I now have to go back to my 100+ list of contacts and add a 1? Let’s hope not. :sweat_smile:

I don’t recall the country code (1) being a requirement with the gotenna v1.

2 Likes

@Mark as you may be aware, goTenna Mesh will soon be legal to use in 45+ countries. We added support for international phone numbers in the goTenna app with the launch of goTenna Mesh and introduced country codes.
Without a country code, an international user could have the exact same 10 digit phone number as yours. This can lead to 2 problems:

• Since your phone number is also your unique goTenna ID, using the same phone number will lead to a poor experience and raise privacy issues.
  • Without a country code, we will not be able to international validate phone numbers

The catch here is that you will need to update all your goTenna contacts & add country code info.
I understand this isn’t ideal. I will work with @michaelryap to rethink this experience soon.

1 Like

I understand and thanks for looking into this in the near future. I don’t mean to over simply this, and I realize when we say X as an idea I realize the programming can be difficult or considered not feasible, but, why not just have the app add the country code based on users location? Ok, I’ll go back and sit down now :joy:.

I read and article over the weekend that in Russia it’s illegal to use gotennas. I think it had something to do with the frequency.

1 Like

Would love to see that article! I might frame it alongside this one which I already have up at our office:

1 Like

@dbfish Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. In our redesign, we have torn down every screen of onboarding and built them back up. Some of the concerns you cited will be addressed! We’ll have to consider things like test shouts and quicksaving friends’ GIDs in future releases, but they’ve been noted. (On personal note, I’m a big fan of the blacked out UI of Pro too!)

2 Likes

@Mark add me to the list of people!!

1 Like

I saw it in a demo at APCO but I gotta say it’s not for everyone. If there’s a light-on-dark UI in the future for consumer app, please make sure you also let people toggle/choose the dark-on-white. :wink:

1 Like

@femmesh Agreed. Though I personally like it, the blacked out UI is really geared for our Pro users.

2 Likes

Since this is sort of a suggestions thread now for onbaording, this just came up in another thread where a user has two phones and could see shouts but wasn’t pairing contacts correctly. @Rahul_Subramany explained the tap and hold add contact feature which worked for the user. This method is all I use since I setup each node with a GID. It may be a good idea to add this feature in during onboarding to automatically add nearby mesh users to contacts. Here’s how that could work- add a final screen in onboarding "is this a additional gotenna in your group? Tap here to automatically share your contact with another gotenna user. On the other phones, Click settings then “share contact with nearby gotenna users”. Then send a hidden shout message that would auto add contacts and create a 1/1 chat for the onboard app and in the other apps that have that settings function activated, almost the same as if you are pairing a new gotenna. Sorry hard to explain using text but hope you get the idea.

1 Like

@dbfish this is a great idea!
This approach would make it a lot easier to get up and running with goTenna Mesh. I will explore this further for a future update.

2 Likes

Just typing out Onboarding screen - “Are you setting up multiple gotenna’s and phones together? On each phone you have a gotenna paired to already, tap Settings, then “Allow Contact Pairing”. Then tap “Pair Contacts” here to automatically add nearby gotenna users as contacts”. (Skip / Pair Contacts)

Tapping “Allow Contact Pairing” starts listen mode on the already setup apps. Tapping “Pair Contacts” on the phone being onboarded sends out a hidden shout, and each other phone receiving that hidden shout responds with one. That way it’s double opt-in, and other nearby users that have not tapped “Allow contact pairing” do not see anything.

Each phone then displays a list of received contacts with GID/Names with "These nearby users were discovered. Check the box by each name to add these contacts and start a private message. Also add a checkbox to “Add everyone to a private group chat”.

2 Likes