Mesh 5.0 is here!

Having the same issue. One unit out of 4 appeared to download firmware, but then it stopped—the progress bar was stuck at 0%.

The other 3 units updated with no issue.

2 Likes

I’d also like some help to update the firmware

2 Likes

Glad to help! Message sent!

Sending a private message!

1 Like

Hi!

Help to update the firmware!

Thanks

2 Likes

Go to the App store if Apple, wherever you get it with Android. It will show the goTenna Mesh, but it didn’t show it as an update on my iP6. Download and you should be good.

Once you have the user interface app on your phone, it will decide on it’s own to update the firmware on the goTenna Mesh itself. Initially it will show whatever version was on before, but after some time has passed it will take care of business and show you it’s 1.1.8 and all is good.

We have 3 GTM’s in use here with iP5, 6, and 8 and they’ve all downloaded the UI side of things and updated that. One had got the GTM itself to 1.1.8, the fresh 5.0, with the other two still pending on that side of things.

1 Like

Hi, My name is Angela and I have 3 gotennas and I tried updating all 3 of them one after the other using my iPhone X which is running iOS 11 and your latest gotenna app update. Each gotenna I tried updating had problems. 2 of them said there was and error and the other one had the gotenna app crash before it finished updating Now none of them will pair with my phone. I even force quit all my apps and rebooted my iphone before attempting any of these firmware updates so my iphone would be running smooth ahead of the firmware update.

Is there a way to hard reboot them so I can try the update again? Or could I send them back to get replacements?

I’m going on a big family camping trip where there is no cell coverage early next week and was really looking forward to finally using them out in the woods. Now it looks like we might not have any communications. :disappointed:

2 Likes

How can you force the firmware update once the app is upgraded?

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat - I have 5.0 installed, and my gt mesh is at 0.13.48 and I can’t figure out how to get it updated.

I concur. I’m a little dissatisfied with my Gotenna Mesh experience, and I live in an urban core. Even when taking them on mountain hikes, strapping them to weather balloons, flying them in planes…there’s just not that many out there actively using. I have talked to friends and other gotenna meshers in large crowds, concerts, festivals, etc. but besides emergencies and cellular overload, I struggle to see a real use case in my situation.

I think Gotenna Mesh (specifically the shouts via relay feature) is basically ham radio, which has a lot more active (read: retired) people monitoring, the radios are a lot cheaper, and the always-on APRS network has great features like hopping, internet gateways which post positional information to https://aprs.fi, and gating to and from SMS and email.

8 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback so far everyone!

For anyone arriving newly who needs help, please send me a DM for specific troubleshooting-- I’m happy to help!

I think making the increased hops a premium feature is a mistake: we want to encourage and increase the use of the functionality of the device, not restrict it.

I appreciate a company needs a revenue stream, and a recurring subscription model is good, but I don’t think this - very exciting - feature should fall into that category.

7 Likes

For those of you having a problem with the firmware update getting started, go into the GoTenna app (make sure you have already updated to 5.0), click settings, then you will see an about option. In there it should show you a button to upgrade your firmware. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Are we getting 3 hops for free and up to 6 with premium? If so, I’m ok with that to be honest. The free version gets you and idea of how it works and knowing that I can double that range with premium I’d probably be more inclined to go premium.

The main problem to this day is I have YET to have ANYONE respond to a shout. Anywhere. The mesh devices are only as good as how many are out there. First and foremost I think GoTenna needs to get these things out there as much as possible. I think the ambassador program has some potential to do this. I am looking to get my town lit up. If I can get the town lit up and the company then gives a discount to people who live in my town I think it would help get more people onboard. The more people onboard the more valuable the platform is.

Fred

3 Likes

How do I send you a DM

1 Like

Right, that’s why I think having a greater hop count for all is a good thing: increased probability of message delivery, instead of a ‘shout’ into the wind!

3 Likes

sure hope they didbt have a bumch of us brick our working units…

2 Likes

sounds like what 2 of mine are doing now… not sure i want to risk 4 that currently work

1 Like

VirginiagoTenna, could you please DM me. It isn’t apparent on this site how to send you a DM.

I’m having the same issue as others – got an error message immediately after the firmware updated and now can’t pair.

I think I was able to rescue a bricked unit by trying to switch its pairing from Android to iOS. Android made it DFU reboot, iOS kicked it to into factory restore.

2 Likes