Hawaii goTenna Mesh users let's do a monthly test

In Hawaii, every month on the first business day the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (HI-EMA) does a Civil Defense siren test at 11:45 a.m. HST with the next test Tuesday (June 1). I wanted to see how well the Mesh works so I’ll be sending out a public Shout on my GoTenna Mesh at the start of the test. I live near Market City in Honolulu (though I may be out in town) so if you’re available fire-up your unit and let’s do a monthly test to coincide with HI-EMA.

I will send the test to coincide with the CD sirens, I will also broadcast my location so folks who get the message will have an idea of their reception.
#hawaii #oahu #test

1 Like

Sent test shouts, no response. Will repeat next month 11:45 a.m.HST on July 1, 2021.

No response on July 1, 2021. Next test scheduled for 1145 HST, on August 2, 2021.

MediaBaron, great idea…I had been waiting for someone to suggest this…I had been leaving my mesh units on 100% of the time back in 2018 but then did not get any replies to my shoutouts. I won’t be able to make your Sept CD test but this weekend I will turn my units on. They are in a high-rise behind Pucks Alley so Waikiki / Manoa / McCully-Moiliili / Ewa Kaimuki should be well covered as a relay node.

MediaBaron, I turned on my Mesh unit this AM just after the siren test…and its facing the Kaimuki Fire Station / Pu’u O Kaimukī Park. So Market City mauka should be covered by it.

Sorry, didn’t see this until after the test. There will be other opportunities in the future.

NO worries. I will try to point my mesh in your direction after 9PM tonight and see if we connect. (I am over by Pucks Alley/ Kokua Market, so ewa of you (?)

I will be doing a GoTenna Mess test at 1145 HST, on Wednesday, September 1, 2021.

Next goTenna Mesh monthly Hawaii mesh test shout will be at 11:45 and 11:50 a.m., Friday, October 1, 2021.

Did my monthly goTenna Mesh shout which coincided with the monthly HI-EMA Civil Defense siren test. This time I went up Roundtop Drive to get a good overview of the city. The city screwed-up and blew the sirens early at 11:21 a.m., then they blew them again at the proper 11:45 a.m. time. I sent shouts several times with the last being sent about 11:50 a.m. with zero response. As you can see my goTenna had a pretty unobstructed view of the city. I tried to post a message here via my iPhone but for some reason this web forum is screwed-up and wouldn’t allow me to login.

I’ll try again 11:45 a.m., December 1st, I’ll try giving it a go again from Rountop Drive scenic lookout again.

With the wildfires that have destroyed historic Lahaina town and many communications on Maui this week I wonder if anyone is utilizing gTmesh on the island?

MediaBaron, got your note. Recharging and turning on my mesh units today. Sad to say there are so many mesh units on the Honolulu map but few responses to test chat.