goTenna Meshies Node Settings

So I’m nicknaming stationary goTenna Mesh nodes dedicated for relay only duty “meshies” because I’m to lazy to type “dedicated mesh node”

Basic user instructions are simple, charge then connect device’s app to goTenna for normal use. For dedicated for stationary duty, will I ever need to connect other than periodic firmware updates? Set it and forget it?

Hope to see a goTenna Mesh teardown on Adafruit soon!

I would like to have plain meshies connected to a dedicated Raspberry Pi that is connected to the internet. I need internet linked meshies (D-star like) so my kids can message me when they are visiting their grandparents’ farm (70 miles in the middle of nowhere). I think a Raspberry Pi W has potential, what do you think?

Justin

3 Likes

Set it and forget it!
Did you sign up for email updates during onboarding? If not, you can sign up by going into Settings → Profile → Email updates
We will notify everyone on this email list when we release new Firmware.

Sounds like a great idea to solve a very genuine problem. You should consider using the goTenna SDK to build a protoype. We will be adding support for goTenna Mesh to SDK in early September. Currently, the goTenna SDK works with Android & iOS.The best approach to implement your idea, will be to run Android on Raspberry Pi and use the Android goTenna SDK.

2 Likes

I kinda like this :wink:

3 Likes

We did one 11 months ago!

3 Likes

so, just to confirm: my second, non-linked GoTenna Mesh device still needs to be bound to a phone in order to operate as a node or can it relay without being connected to any other device?

@flickerdown it can relay without being connected to a phone.
Leave the relay device turned ON!

1 Like

@Rahul_Subramany thanks, Rahul. I believe it’s on, but no status light shows so…just want to make sure. I may end up building a similar relay station as seen elsewhere on the boards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

press the on switch momentarily and the led should light up, indicating it is powered on. ready to relay messages

sdonovan
kb1eea

1 Like

If pressing the button doesn’t do the trick for whatever reason (it has happened to me 2 times already) try plugging the power cord and charging it. Wait few seconds and then power it on. For some reason this has happened to me on two different occasions. @danielagotenna have you seen this reported elsewhere?

I have not but @Rahul_Subramany is your guy for that :slight_smile:

Ok. Just flashes white. Assuming that’s what it’s supposed to do. :slight_smile:

@flickerdown when you turn on your gotenna mesh and using as relay only it will flash white for a while. It will eventually stop flashing. You can single press the power button one time and the unit will flash white one time letting you know the device is still powered on and in relay mode.

1 Like

@Mark never seen this behavior before. Let me know if this problem persists.

so how do you know its in relay mode?

Press the power button and the light will flash three times.

Justin

1 Like

Hello,
In the Ask an Engineer vid they speak of an earlier appearance. Please post a link to that here also.
Thanks
dennilee

1 Like

Justin

3 Likes

Thanks. I will watch it soon.

1 Like

Just finished watching. Good stuff!