What is stopping me from buying a goTenna for each member of my family and evangelizing this product

To me, it’s about knowing that if I bought a GTM, I wouldn’t be reliant one one single company. I at least want to know whether or not interoperability is legally and technologically possible before I spend any money.

Well good luck to you with that.

I suppose you don’t rely on one company to pay your paycheck either? Or whether your mobile phone is GSM or CDMA? Or your cable provider where I live I have a choice of only one (1) which is my only choice for Internet.

Anything is technologically possible. But doesn’t mean that there is a whole bunch of interoperable devices available either. And there isn’t. So mute point. There is no other device. Why bring up what-ifs if there are no other devices? What is your point? If you don’t want to invest in gotenna then don’t but don’t belly ache up here about it when you provide zero alternatives. Because they do not exist.

1 Like

And when you are in your next storm where the power is out and mobile phones are out I’m sure you’ll find a suitable substitute I’m sure (not). Until then good luck to you with that.

I get where you’re coming from. I would much prefer if goTenna would open-source their Mesh protocol, as that would provide security for Mesh owners that community developers could continue working on the platform should goTenna the company fail. This would also allow others wanting to do mesh networks easy access to the goTenna protocol and be able to integrate smoothly. Maybe the SDK offers that, maybe not (I’m not a software developer), but the SDK does allow 3rd party apps to work with the devices.

As for the Librem 5, since it’s more of a Linux computer than a smartphone, it should have no trouble utilizing the USB SDK if it is available for Linux.

You’re not the only one that misses the days of industry standards. Most days, I can’t stand the current “Ecosystem” or “Platform” methodology. The issue is, nobody has made it this far into mesh networks other than goTenna. I’ve searched for years for something like this, and nothing other than CB, FRS, or amateur radio even came close. goTenna is all we got right now.

4 Likes