iOS Toolkit App

I’d like to understand how to use the ios App, but can’t seem to get things going. Anybody willing to post a YouTube on the basic useage of the App?

2 Likes

Hi Oregon_Mesher,
Some basic documentation is available from the following link.

When the Mesh Developers Toolkit App is first launched it will prompt for the GUID to be set, I suggest that this is set to the same value as in the goTenna App.

Once this is set when you change to the Messages tab, the App will automatically pair with the goTenna in the same way as the goTenna App.

Once the GUID is set the App will automatically pair with the goTenna when it is launched.

It should be noted that Mesh Developers Toolkit does not run alongside the goTenna App and you must quit this before launching Mesh Developers Toolkit.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’m pleased to report that 2.5.2 fixed 1-1 messaging with Android. Next test is meshing a query.

2 Likes

Version 2.6 of Mesh Developers Toolkit has been released into the iTunes App Store today.

This release adds a new button,“Graph”, to the “Activity Log” tab:

activity

This shows you statistics, for the last 24 hours, relating to iPhone and goTenna battery usage, messages, shouts and location requests sent and received.

For example, the following graph shows the iPhone battery usage:

The Y-Axis shows the value and the X-Axis is the hour of the recording. Although it should be noted that for the battery values, I currently report the average for the hour.

In the above example the phone started charged, then was disconnected for a few hours, put back on charge, removed from charge and then fully charged.

The following graph:

Shows a goTenna being run down over night, disconnected for a couple of hours around 5am (hence the 0% recording) and then being put on a solar charger between 11am and 1pm.

The following graph shows the total number of shout per hour sent by Mesh Developers Toolkit for the last 24 hours:

shouts

Swiping left on a remote toolkit, on the “Toolkits” tab, also adds a “Graph” option which allows you to see these statistics for the selected remote toolkit:

options

The web server must be enabled, on the remote toolkit, for this option and both Mesh Developers Toolkits on the same Wifi Network.

A new web server call “/stats” has also been implemented to allow you to access this data as a JSON object.

Hope this makes sense.

3 Likes

Version 2.7 of Mesh Developers Toolkit was released into the App Store today, this contains a few bug fixes and improvements to the “Graph” functionality.

A new version, 2.7.1 is in the approval process which is able to poll other goTennas every few minutes for their position:

Lynq compete app? - #3 by Pete94

1 Like

Release 2.7.1 of Mesh Developers Toolkit is now available in the iTunes App Store which includes the setting “Poll Devices” which automatic requests the position of other goTennas every few minutes.

When combined with the “Scan QR code” and “Bearing” functionality provides similar functionality to Lynq:

1 Like

Pete94—stumbled across this today and in your github documentation you imply that you support custom URL schemes? If so, you should register with Launch Center Pro so that toolkit can be launched through their launcher. They allow one to setup parameters to pass in the custom URL so one could have canned messages or commands that are accessed/launched via LCP. Looks neat, but I have to wait to get home to the GoTenna units before I can play!!! Nice work, Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Tawpie,
I will look into registering Mesh Developers Toolkit with Launch Center Pro, thank you for the suggestion.

I did something similar using the “workflow” app (https://my.workflow.is) when I was developing the URL schemes support:

IMG_0071

The url schema is “mtk”, a shout request is similar to:

mtk://shout?message=Hello

A direct message is similar to:

mtk://message?message=MESSAGE?guid=GUID

Where GUID is the guid of the device to send to.

Hope this helps and thank you for your feedback.

You have designed a good app and I have used it but the only problem is the UI which is not so user friendly. You can change the UI and you can take ideas from Apple iPad Support so that you will make it good and more responsive.

1 Like

Very cool app. I’ve been playing with it, and the functionality really helps showcase what is possible for the goTenna Mesh. Looking forward to experimenting more with it. Thanks for putting the time and effort into this!

4 Likes

Hi DCW,
Thank you for your feedback, I am really enjoying the challenges of building the App.

Development is still on-going although holidays and the day job have slowed it down for the moment.

2 Likes

Hi, Pete. First off, thank you for all the great work on this powerful app. The charting is really handy for testing setups with intermittent power.

I was curious if the SDK allows for getting the temperature of the goTenna? There has to be one somewhere so the circuit doesn’t try charging the battery when in extreme temperatures.

3 Likes

Hi MrTSolar,
It’s great to hear that you are finding the Charting functionality useful.

The battery level is passed through as a string, I will have to look a bit deeper into the SDK to see if there are any values I can access. The header files refer to “siLabsTemp” and “paTemp” - I assume that the “siLabsTemp” is the temperature of the transceiver - but at the moment I don’t know if I can access them…

Out of interest, would you think that having a couple of “events” which send a message when the battery percentage drops below 10% and 5% would be of use?

1 Like

For the low battery events, would they send out a Shout message or have a delegated GID they warn (1-1 or group message)?

I could see it being useful in a metro mesh net that the nodes warn either one person or a group of people responsible for the nodes that it’s about to go down due to low battery. I don’t think you necessarily want that going out as a Shout as it could make the network seem unreliable if folks continually get low battery warnings. Plus, if you’re out of single hop range, you won’t receive the Shout anyway.

2 Likes

Hi MrTSolar
Thank you for your response - I am thinking of implementing the functionality as an “event” within the script.

The script would be run when the threshold is crossed and the message sent to the script would be “battery-10%” or “battery-5%”.

Your could then parse it in the script and send the message to the target guids using the “send(GUID,‘Message’);” Javascript function.

Hope this makes sense.

Also, version 2.8.1 has just been uploaded to the iTunes approval process.

This adds a new graph “goTenna Temperature” which displays the temperature of the connected goTenna.

You can also use the graph functionality on the “Remote Toolkits” tab to view the data for a remote Mesh Developers Toolkit on the same network.

I have also added a new Javascript function, “temperature()” which returns the current device temperature to your script.

I am using the value of “siLabsTemp”, I think it is in celsius as my test goTenna is returning 31 which is a few degrees above room temperature for the UK today :sunny:

The other field “paTemp” does not appear to return anything - even if the goTenna is on charge - so I am not recording it.

Cool. Thanks. I’ll be sure to check those out when the new update is published.

Gotcha, the low battery would be part of the custom script. In my mind, I was picturing the feature as one of the setting toggles.

1 Like

Hi MrTSolar,
Version 2.8.1, with the Temperature monitoring, was approved in the iTunes App Store tonight.

I am thinking of building an “event” model, with individual scripts for different conditions, e.g. “shout received” or “battery level” etc.

Although I will look at building a preference which would send preset messages to a single GUID setup in the preferences - would this tie in with what you had pictured?

1 Like

Pete,
I’ve poked around some but my wife is the programmer in the family and sge hasn’t dug in yet despite sounding positive about the possibilities. We’ll get there soon, simply because of the growing number of nodes we have to feed at UMESH in Urbana, IL.

I will certainly echo MrTsolar’s concept of temp reporting from multiple nodes back to a single GUID. Our network will eventually cover all of Urbana and currently serves about 1/3 of t with 6 nodes. Temps, both low and high, have already posed problems for us. Gathering data on the temps they are exposed to would help a lot with fault analysis. If I could sit here on a sweltering July day or a numbing January morning and check in on things in the comfort of home that would be the cat’s pajamas.

Sure sounds like it. I’m currently looking for good sites to place relays, so being able to check in on them and have them notify me of an issue across the Mesh would definitely save a lot of driving and potentially undetected downtime.

1 Like

This APP is a godsend @Pete94 OP thanks brother! Loving the scripting and blueteam tracking! I’d buy you a case of beer if you would port this to Android and gear smartwatch. I’d toss in at least $100. Wicked app! Thank you!
Can we donate? This has great potential. Have you entered it in the SDK competition? This wins, hands-down. #MeshingWithData #CallForCode

1 Like