INTRODUCTIONS: Who are you & why are you here? :)

Educator and general trouble maker brought here by way of Natalie Smolenski and a recent piece on our progression from kinship to Blockchain.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ryan, I joined here to get some more information and reviews prior to purchasing a unit. My wife and I are frequent Cruisers and looking for bettter ways of communicating while on board and other countries. I am trying to see if anyone using theirs on cruise ships and how well it works.

3 Likes

Welcome to tayken and rewnolen!

@rwnolen312
There’s another member and his family who have been cruising. They are nearing the end of the cruise, but checked in a few days ago with a report after discussing various options and ideas for use on a cruise. There are links in that thread to earlier cruise ship threads, too.
Cruise Ship Project and Test

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Jason and I just bought a pair of goTenna Mesh to use when I go hiking and in case of emergency. I live in Calgary, Alberta and look forward to having them when I go to the mountains.

1 Like

Welcome to the mesh community! Be sure and check out the imeshyou map, as there seem to be quite a few nodes in and around Calgary.

1 Like

OK after many months lurking and reading the discussion here I finally just posted for the first time, so figure I might as well introduce myself. Call me @mficiencies, I am an early bitcoiner and generally an advocate for personal sovereignty. I believe in the potential of mesh networking, and think goTenna Mesh will go down in history as an important linchpin in the move toward creating non-censorable, truly decentralized telecommunications.

I recommend everyone read the following book. (If anyone wants to start a decentralization book club on Mesh Community, I’m really down for it.) I hope to proactively contribute to the boards from here on out. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi, everyone! I’m Michael. I’m a medical student and, like many of you, a HAM operator. Looking forward to more people adopting this tech so I can use around town and while on vacations or camping/hiking. I’m here because this seemed like the simplest system to get others to use (say, on cruise ships or in emergencies). The size of the user base is everything in mesh.

2 Likes

Hi Daniela, We bought Two of your First goTenna’s, they are pretty “Plain Jane” & do not look like your New ones, BUT they work. The “MESH” Network has really grown since the last time I was on your website. It looks like you have a “Hit” on your hands. Good Luck, Sam & Saundra

3 Likes

Hi Daniela & everyone, I am Dave/W6TUX & my XYL is Heidi/W6HPY, (obviously Amateur Radio Operators as are so many here). Early this month, I downloaded a copy of the App to my iPhone just to have a peek, was a little distracted as our first great granddaughter was born the day before. :wink: I did get a group of maps downloaded and a few configuration items done, then sat it aside to hold that baby some more.

Two days ago, I happened across a new YouTube posting by Josh/KI6NAZ entitled " Gotenna Mesh Review, The Future Of The Internet?" and after viewing his video just had to have a look at GoTenna Mesh. This afternoon, just two days later, Amazon Prime came through with a pair for us to learn/test and its been a fun afternoon/evening. Took about 18 minutes each to upgrade them to the latest firmware. Needless to say, I’m already having fun, and planning to pick up a 3rd device to stick up in a 70’ palm tree on our property to see how that works out. Life is good! dave

4 Likes

I’m Steve (Boothby171). I’m just here to see if this would be a good idea for Kayaking (myself), and bicycle touring (for my brother).

So…are these things waterproof?

2 Likes

I have a couple of the original goTennas, but very interested in the mesh!

1 Like

I’m James, I’m here because I read an article about how GoTenna Mesh devices were being used in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Irma. I bought a two pack and I’m looking at building a GoTenna network with some throwaway cell endpoints for outbound text messaging.

2 Likes

My name is Kevin Douglas Berg and I was born a coal miner’s daughter =P No seriously, you invited me and it looked pretty cool and tada, here i is. Been everything except a butcher, baker, candlestickmaker, published Poet, Author, Social Media Company Co-Founder.

That is all for now =)

I wish you all the best rock and roll,

Kevin

Hi my name is Bob Wilmes. I live near Bennington Nebraska. I am posting as an entry in the Labor Day Gotenna contest.

1 Like

Im here because i love the GoTenna product but can never afford it.

Hi there. I’m Trent. My family and I love our gotennas. Trying to talk friends into buying in as well. We live in a rural area with crappy cell service and spend a lot of time in the “bush” climbing, hiking, paddling. Gotenna gives us the ability to be connected when we are out deep.

2 Likes

Heard about GoTenna from Randy Propster (Backpacker Magazine) when he came to Nashville. I love the outdoors and back country hiking. Should be a good fit for GoTenna.

2 Likes

They are water resistant. Can take a splash but not submersible.

1 Like

Hi Steve,
They aren’t waterproof, but they are water-resistant. They do fine out in the rain, but actuall underwater for more the a short time could leak a little. They are welded together, but the power/USB input is the weak spot. There is a rubber plug over it, so it won’t flood in. Should be OK unless you’re into serious whitewater.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m a full-time traveler, so I don’t have a home base to post on the map. Interesting concept to post where you were, but why not have an automatic way of posting where you are currently ?

Thanks,
Kevin

1 Like