How to make a unit stay on?!

I don’t get it. Why are there like a dozen hardware kludges on here? I mean, it’s great that people have figured out how to fit a square box into a round hole, but why doesn’t goTenna save the state of whether we are in relay mode or regular mode in the built-in flash, then read the state when the power is initially applied? (If the battery was dead.)

Expect a firmware mod soon. From me, someone else, or goTenna themselves hopefully. (That’s a more maintainable option.)

@MikeL
It was hoped that this could be implemented via a firmware update, but that seems not to have been possible. The latest is that there must be a hardware change made in future update to the current build.

Meanwhile, you need to add a battery to your box. Voltaic makes some that have a Always On feature, as do many more recent battery packs that are designed to recharge those tiny ear buds many people use now to listen. So long as there’s always power, the GTM will stay on.

I guess not from goTenna then? Get smarter with your tools guys. The K24 has 1MB of flash storage. You’re saying you can’t just use a single bit of that to store the state of being in relay-node mode? (Or if you can’t get smarter with your tools, open source it. I won’t sign an NDA to work on this stuff, I’d back off of it like it’s nuclear poo-poo if you do that. But, I won’t need to either in order to fix it. Greater than zero people can read and write ARMv7 opcodes.)

3 Likes