Brooklyn, New York

@eamonabraham Whenever & Wherever you do the test, Would it be possible to do it on the Emergency Channel as well as Shout? That way we could publicly test the Meshing of large groups, since shout is just point to point.

3 Likes

That’s an excellent point @Jones718 - thank you for bringing it up. I think it’s definitely something we should do.

I’m in Greenpoint and up for test of some kind. @Jones718 and I have already communicated months ago by just random luck and using Shout. it wasn’t a sked and we didn’t know we were on here until he got ahold of me via mesh yesterday. our approx locations aren’t even incredibly close.

3 Likes

That’s amazing. What would you estimate the distance was?

2 Likes

According to google @udicduc0 and I are .8 miles apart. Not bad for “noisy” nyc without line of sight.

4 Likes

@Brooklyn — get excited. We’ll be one of the pilot communities for the Local Ambassadors / hyperlocal mesh network campaigns. Info to come soon…

PS If you haven’t signed up for this yet please email local@gotenna.com

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m actually in Manhattan, but I’m a newbie that is trying to figure out a way to test my new goTenna Mesh. I can trade messages with my wife in my apartment, but haven’t successfully traded messages with anyone outside line of site. Any thoughts on how to find someone to test this with around NYC? And does it automatically relay off other mesh nodes, or is there something I have to do to “activate” that? I see a lot of mesh nodes on the map, but have no idea what that means for my ability to connect to others.

Thanks very much!

1 Like

Hi! I’m in the same boat, just got my device and haven’t been able to communicate with anyone unless they’re in the same room. Where are you in Manhattan? If you’re near either Gramercy, Kips Bay, or Greenwich Village, we could probably try to test between the two of us! @Hakung

2 Likes

I’m actually in Midtown East. I was able to communicate with my wife with a text and sending location about 0.25 miles away, but it’s spotty. And outside of that, I’ve gotten nothing but silence to Shouts or attempts to contact my wife with text messages. Happy to give it a go with trying to contact you @TATC from Midtown East! We’re not too far, but I suspect we still might be too far for it to work. Also, I know that the signal can be bounced several times through other Mesh’s, but have no idea if that’s happening when I try automatically, or if it has to be activated somehow.

2 Likes

Hey all,

If anyone has any plans for some sort of group test at some point in the NYC area, please let me know. In light of my current lack of options, I would like to join in.

Thanks!

2 Likes

We are planning meetups here soon — and we’re excited to work with all of you to build a NYC goTenna Mesh network. :slight_smile: Stay tuned!! Info coming real soon.

Plus if any of you know small businesses who might qualify for our RISE-NYC grant from the NYCEDC — they can get free goTenna Mesh units, including installed stationary relay nodes … more here:

2 Likes

Anymore news on meetups or test groups in the area? I haven’t been able to successfully connect with anyone yet. Thanks!

2 Likes

@Hakung Thank you for following up here. We are a little under-resourced now with so many things going on — including the massive new goTenna Mesh 5.0 release in ~2 months — but this is a big priority and we hope to start doing this next week, especially with a new hire coming on board to work on the Ambassador Program and our local efforts in a more dedicated way. I aim to have a NYC meetup in the next 4 weeks though!!

While I have your attention though — can you share insights on what you’d learn to learn/see/do at a NYC meetup? That’ll help guide our planning!

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give it some thought, but I think it would be great to learn about what people want to get out of their GoTenna, what they’ve actually been able to do with their GoTenna, and what new features they’d like to see going forward. Plus it might be helpful just to have someone to test my GoTenna with since I haven’t found anyone yet to successfully test it with.

1 Like

I’m working on building up the Philadelphia area and also looking to find other people to test with. What I did was setup a random GID on my work phone for testing. I have a relay setup at work and my phone connected to a goTenna unit just sitting on my desk for anyone to test ping or message. I then posted the GID in this forum for others to test against.

1 Like

Hey Brooklyn!
I’m going to have both my units on and shouting this evening (4/16) in North Brooklyn. 6:30-8:30
One will be on my roof in Williamsburg, while I’m at Bushwick Inlet Park. I’ll probably just be chatting with my new Mesh pal @udicduc0, But if anybody else (Hello Lower East Side.?..) turns on their units, lets chat.

2 Likes

@Jones718 @udicduc0 you guys wanna come over to goTenna HQ some time? Please DM @Kelsey :slight_smile:

Would love to.
Will do.
Thanks for the invite.

Hi @Jones718 great to meet you! Feel free to DM me to set up a time :slight_smile:

Hey Brooklyn. I have my GoTenna Mesh unit at work today (Financial District, Wall Street and South Street, 31st floor, looking across the East River at Brooklyn Heights). If anyone might be in range this afternoon and wants to try some shouting/testing, let me know.

1 Like