GoTenna Python SDK

Hi,
A quick update on progress, I have moved on from using a Raspberry Pi as the Python host to:

Although still work in progress and apologies for the poor picture, but its a shiny black box…

The device is a travel router running OpenWRT ar300m.

The main reason for choosing the Router over the Pi is that it already provides a hotspot and an ethernet connection in a smaller form factor. The nature of the device means that it is effectively headless once configured.

I am building a simple web application which is able to send messages to GoTennas from a browser running devices connected to the router (using web sockets), along the lines of Side-loaded or offline version of app.

Installing the Python SDK on OpenWRT was straightforward, although some of the prerequisites have different package names and I had to make a small change to one of the SDK libraries to handle the lack of a SPI interface.

It is also interesting to be working with a device with limited resources (although I played safe and went for the ar300m with 128mb of Flash storage - I think I could of got away with a GL-MT300N which only has 16mb of Flash and is less than £20).

The OpenWRT approach also opens up the hardware that can be used as the host, as it can be flashed to a wide range of routers…

I will do a more detailed write up once I have cleaned up the code :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes