Favorite solar panel/battery for USB?

Hi all, anyone have a favorite brand of solar panel and battery with USB output? indoor or weather proof would both be interesting.

1 Like

Hi there are some suggestions in this thread:

I also suggest you use the search feature in the top of each Mesh Community page to search for other recommendations by using certain keywords. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ordered a solar panel designed to work with a RING stickup camera. It was on $37 and being that my Gotennas seem to last a LONG time, I’m guessing it might supply enough jiuce to charge my node during the day so it can run on battery at night. I didn’t spend a lot of time researching the current draw of the unit or the output of the panel though, I’m more concerned initially with proof of concept, that it could work without having a backup battery inline. I’m just playing around and looking for the easiest way to deploy a node in an emergency.

Solar Panel from Amazon

2 Likes

The V72 battery from Voltaic doesn’t look like it will work well. It lacks the always-on mode that the V15 and V44 have, and once the Mesh is done charging, the V72 shuts off as it can’t detect the low draw of the Mesh unit. My initial plan was to use the V72 to keep a Mesh unit powered up in my car as a mobile node and top the V72 off through the 12 volt port of the car when I drive, but it looks like I’ll need to get a charge circuit and battery from Adafruit to act as the buffer.

2 Likes

SunTactics.com solar panels. Check out their YouTube videos (embedded on their site) on all the testing they do with their panels. Made right here in the USA :us:

Very new to this…
Do you run the cable indoors then or keep the gotenna unit outside?

1 Like

@Sweetbbshop keeping your goTenna Mesh outside, will deliver better range.
To protect your device from the elements, I would recommend using a ziploc bag and lots of duct tape :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!!
So this is for a stationary relay-only unit I imagine? I will do a search on here as well for extremes of temp allowance as, apparently I live in the Tundra that is northern Illinois! :joy:. Saw an interesting rig on the Puerto Rico post for a relay only node and I was still wondering about the hot temp effect on unit.
I’m such a newbie and I am delighted with all your awesome threads filled with advice and ideas.
My mind is :boom:

1 Like

@Sweetbbshop Correct.
We have tested goTenna Mesh and have verified functionality between -4 F (-20 C) to 140 F (60 C). In most cases, your device should continue to function if placed under shade.

1 Like

How about adding a low value resistor to keep the draw on the battery controller above the cut out level ? Yes, it would be a constant drain. So the question is "Is the amount needed to keep the unit on an acceptable loss?"
Just thinking out loud.

Thought about it, but a V44 makes more sense with its Always-on mode. It also takes less to charge than the V72, given the V44 only needs USB.