“Ping” for “Shout”

How about adding a “ping” capability in the “shout” chat room so users can check for others in range without the need to send a txt message asking if anyone is there.

6 Likes

So a group ping. I like the idea but what happens if you are at “random event here” and you get hundreds of responses? Perhaps there is a way to handle that but I’m genuinely curios to hear a response from the team as to whether that can be handled by the protocol.

1 Like

The current version of the Mesh protocol will not be able to handle this feature efficiently.
Not to worry though, we are hard at work on Aspen Grove 2.0 - which we believe will able to efficiently Ping nearby users via Shouts (including Meshed shouts!) and report back to the user.

6 Likes

Maybe the ping/shout feature could limit the amount of shout pings to something like one per minute to keep it from being overwhelmed.

Instead of receiving multiple individual ping back messages from each user in range it could just collect all the received ping responses and display the total number of users in range in a single message.

Ping shout replies would also be received by other users who didn’t send out the ping shout request but their devices would not give any notification. Instead their device would save the quantity of users currently in range as well as the time stamp. This should also reduce the overal amount of ping shout requests sent out when many users are in close proximity since users will be able to see the results of others ping shout requests without needing to send out their own shout ping.

It would also be nice if permanent relay nodes would also ping back from the shout window showing how many relay nodes are currently in range. Then we would be able to get a better idea of our potential communication range.

There could be 3 user activated options/switch settings for shout pings.

1: ping users
2: ping relay nodes
3: disable auto shout ping replies (manual ping reply & or block all shout ping requests)

1 Like

You have given them something to think about in the future protocol. It sounds like it might be possible eventually. It sounds like we have other upgrades to look forward to as well.

Meshed shouts with be an interesting upgrade.

1 Like

I have a phone connected via Bluetooth to the MOAN unit so people can ping it!

1 Like

Just out of curiosity. What’s the projected release date of Aspen Grove 2.0? Myself and many others I’ve talked to are very excited to have the ability to ping other gotenna users and relay nodes in the shout chat room.

1 Like

@ShootAnyAngle I don’t have a release timeline yet. Will share regular updates as development progresses.

3 Likes