Beacon for Relay mode devices

Suggest a beacon capability for Stationary Relay devices when in Relay Mode. Owner could add limited text to broadcast with an interval of every 15 or 30 minutes. Text could be a location for example. This would be an easy way to monitor operation and do a range test. As a shout, others in the area would know that a relay Is available to them. A suggestion for the next software upgrade.
Command Example: BT…enter text…Enter,(Text to transmit is saved in device).
BEV…30…Enter. (Beacon Every 30 min). Enter 0 for no beacon.
Ken - W4KLP

11 Likes

If they did this there would be no need for any tricky commands to remember. The Gotenna App could act as a GUI.

3 Likes

Agreed…sounds like a good way to go.
Ken

2 Likes

That would be a great feature as i am looking into doing a project locally to build a mesh network in a state park.

2 Likes

I am sure it would be nice to know if there is a Mesh Relay near your location. Otherwise how else would you know? Thanks for your interest in having this feature.
Ken

3 Likes

Love this idea. Plus, it would help get an idea of the range in specific areas: when you stop receiving the beacons, you must be out of range :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly! I hope they consider this in the upgrades, as I feel it is very important. Thanks for the interest.
Ken:

3 Likes

Ditto, I’m new to goTenna and was surprised this feature isn’t available yet (in relay mode). It would be similar to the APRS packet radio beacon on the ham radio side. The location could even be optional (for example a road trip where the location is dynamic), as long as there’s a “I’m here” beacon for a relay or sms gateway opportunity, etc.

2 Likes