Sonnet Devices BETA

I’m curious to read your results.

See post above. I’ve been updating it with my test results.

Internal antenna seems to have about 1.5-2km range when mounted in an attic.

3D printed case with magnetic power cord.

New, more compact case.

08-Jan-2020 Update
I did some more testing over the weekend. Using the 3dbi antennas shown below for both units I got a consistent 2-2.5km range.

Test
Base unit location:

• Second story of wood framed house sitting on desk near window (but not infront)
  • Antenna oriented vertically
  • 1 watt of power

Mobile unit location:

• Top goggle pocket of a Dakine helipro backpack
  • Antenna oriented vertically
  • 1 watt of power

I walked away from the base unit in a straight line down the street in a standard residential neighborhood. Due to the location of the base unit, every house I passed resulted in another full-house the signal had to go through. After 12-15 houses I could no longer receive a signal from the base unit. At the extreme end of range if I turned my body so my head was in the way, the signal would be blocked. There was no elevation gain over the distance of the tests. These results seem pretty consistent with the advertisements on the box.

Next test will be to get some high-gain antennas and repeat the process.

15-Jan-2020
New high-gain antenna came in. I’m not sure if its junk or not so i’ll try and do some testing on the weekend.

3 Likes

Do you have any pictures or diagrams of the solder points?

No, I’ve only opened the case once to reset the battery. What specifically are you looking for? There are internal board pictures on the FCC website for certification.

I was looking for the soldering points for an SMA connector for an external antenna. There are several conflicting images on the forum, but no follow up as to the mods’ successes.

This specific thread is for the Sonnet not the goTenna mesh. I haven’t been brave enough to cut open my gotennas yet.

25-Jan-20 Update

I tested out the new high-gain antenna today on the base station. I kept the smaller antenna on the mobile unit.

I am getting almost double the range with the new antenna and certainly a more consistent signal. There were a few concrete apartment buildings causing the signal to drop out when I walked between them and the base station but the connection reestablished itself after walking a few hundred more feet.

Next weekend ill walk away from the base station in the opposite direction where there are just normal wood framed houses.

1 Like

root@192.168.47.1
pw sonneteer

Found my login for it. thats copied from my putty SSH shortcut.
IP as you would find yours.

1 Like

Hello all! I am a newby at mesh networks and sonnet. i can log into the device and message between 2 devices that are connected to the same sonnet however i cannot do anything else on it. i do not know how to get into the settings to active the mesh or update firmware or basically anything else let alone download maps and things. if anyone would be willing to assist me with this.