San Francisco / Bay area

Thanks for the response! I’ve been unable to search for Sunil ridge on google, where is that located? I’ve only been able to get about 0.6 miles point to point on the ground in San Jose with some structures in the way. Recently I attached a Gotenna in relay mode to my drone and flew it directly up to 400 feet, attempted to node hop to another one 1.3 miles away at the same elevation failed for me unfortunately. I’m unsure if I did something wrong there but I’ll attempt a higher flight ceiling sometime later. It seems the MOAN is the only tested and proven method to increase range paired with high elevation but it seems that project is delayed due to changes in goTenna mesh hardware. I’m definitely super excited about the mesh network concept though!

3 Likes

Hey lucent,

You’ve been bitten by the bug. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

You can’t find Sunil ridge because it doesn’t exist. Oops! Look for “Sunol Peak” instead.

I agree about MOAN extending range significantly. It is flirting with danger as the FCC would have a few things to say about it. What they’ve done is turned a part 95 FCC device and hacked it to be more like a goTenna Pro.

The goTenna Pro is what happens when you can play by different rules. The Pro has 8-10 times the power, 220mhz and 440 mhz bands frequencies that passes through obstructions much easier, and a removable antenna. It’s as if someone put a wishlist together for the Mesh, waved a wand, and had all their wishes answered.

But enough about the Pro - We can still do the same with Meshes, but it will just require more of them in strategic spots. We’ll need to determine reliable real-world distances and work our way back from there. I’ll see what I can draft together as a proposal, and and get a group together to make it happen. I need to find how the Mammoth team made it happen.

2 Likes

Has anyone in the SF Bay Area made any progress installing gotennas on mountain tops around the region?

2 Likes

We have one over on the slowcoast, above Pescadero.
Reaches to Highway 1 by the turn into Pescadero, and some of the state park.
LOS to various parts of the Pescadero / Butano watershed.

3 Likes

If you’re in the SF Bay area get in touch with Dan Hedl. He’s organizing a goTenna meetup in SF: https://twitter.com/danheld/status/1069627737076187136

One of the goals will be to test our TxTenna for sending Bitcoin transactions.

2 Likes

Does anyone have node GIDs for semi-permanent nodes in the area?
Alternatively, I’m around the CostCo area M-F 9-5ish. 1309 8075 858 if you want to send test pings/msgs.

2 Likes

I no longer live in the Bay Area but I remember seeing a thread here somewhere about someone having access to Sutro Tower and/or Marin Headlands … not sure if anything came from that?

I’ve put up an AC powered stationary relay on top of a building that is a stone’s throw from the base of Coit Tower in SF. Elevation 284 ft. INSANE line of sight view of most of SF, E Bay and S Bay. It’s on the map. Should help a lot. AF6IM

7 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for your significant contribution to help mesh the San Francisco Bay Area — and the world! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

tried a few shouts on Friday late morning/early afternoon from a couple spots, a north-facing 3rd floor just west of SF city hall, and out near Golden Gate park; didn’t get any responses or other hits though.

It’s still up (Coit Tower base SF). I will make sure it stays online. How can I tell if it’s being used?

2 Likes

The only way to tell if it is passing messages is to have visual access to the LED on the unit. If the unit flashes, it is relaying a message.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll use the MANYTHING app on an old iPhone 4 and I’ll set it up for light triggered motion alerts. That way I’ll get messaged on my phone every time my GoTenna relay blinks. I’ll probably be able to mask out the charging light in the apps motion detection zone feature. If not I can tape over it.

Nice location Casey. Hope to use it sometime driving down Hwy 1.

Mark

1 Like

yes I have to check it out; it’s at a friends place and sometimes they snitch the little USB power supply :wink:

1 Like

Greeting everyone. I have gotenna that I am now starting to use. My location is in Newark close to the Dumbarton Bridge. Since I have two gotenna’s I am using one for relay. I have it hanging from my 2nd story bedroom window facing north. Not sure how much of a relay I will get from its current location.

I defiantly would like to see a mesh in and around the Tri-City area.

4 Likes

Still up and running at Coit Tower SF. Three blinks and ready for relay traffic.

3 Likes

What’s the GID for it? I’m curious if I can ping the node.

1 Like

I’m overseas until July. When I return Ill get the info for you. If there is any way to do it remotely let me know.

Anyone have a boat on the bay or know someone who does?

If we could get some Gotenna mesh relays setup on some boats out there it would really help link both sides of the bay and they would have great line of sight to any Gotenna relays up on the hills.

1 Like