Hot Air Balloon / Kite to Get a Node way up?

The pricing for those balloon / kite combo is a bit high. If I can find a cheaper helium balloon option I might give it a try. Need to check a few “party shops” to see what they offer.

3 Likes

My 10 year old daughter has a science fair comming up and needs a project.

Need suggestions for a cheap and easy tracker so we can recover and chart flight. (Something that is easy so it’s not obvious that her dad did it)

Justin

2 Likes

So into this. How can goTenna help?

2004Mike2a

4 Likes

Off the top of my head - When we schedule the flight, have people in the memphis area monitor the net for range info? We can make a mylar balloon and use hydrogen.

Pie in the sky- Flight tracking via location teathering for a node setting… an embedded M8N gps module or bluetooth gps sync to gotenna and everyone with gotenna plus could track?

1 Like

FYI - best deal I‘ve seen so far for balloons… https://balloonsfast.com/giant-balloons-72-inch-round-tuf-tex-balloons.html

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m amazed to see this fantastic community! At the Aerocene Foundation, we are actually dreaming with a Mesh Network that relies 100% on solar power, with solar balloons instead of helium, which is a scarce and expensive resource. You can read more on this newly created topic.

2 Likes

I’m just going to go tot the dollar tree and get some balloons, tie them together and use 550lbs cord as the line tied down. I’ll post some pictures up once I have together.

2 Likes

Well, it’s been in the 100s and what sucks is that has been windy. It been windy enough to not be able to launch the balloons holding the gotenna mesh.

6 Likes

It took about 18 balloons to lift the gotenna, and I’m using a twine like line. I’m going to try to put up to 50ft up then up another 50. I hope my gotenna doesn’t rip and fly away. I’ll update as soon as I have a successful launch and test results regarding distance.

6 Likes

Please take video!!!

1 Like

Will do, unfortunately it’s still windy. Regardless of this wind I’m going to order some stronger latex balloons and I will continue to test. And I will make a video of it all.

1 Like

This is absolutely incredible. I really hope you’re able to get this out!

Is it a party or a goTenna Mesh? Spoiler: IT’S BOTH.

Please let us know what kind of range performance you achieve with the UP style goTenna Mesh!

5 Likes

Lmao!! I will most definitely post all the information
Including: altitude, distances, and furthest range I was able to successfully get a message out.

3 Likes

Here are a few photos of my initial test flying a gotenna kite. It seems to work quite well. Next test will be with a helium balloon as well as a drone.

7 Likes

Awesome! Do you have any initial result from the kite Mesh?

1 Like

Wasn’t able to reach anyone using shout. However my range throughout the neighborhood to other friends and family was greatly increased. The most difficult aspect was dealing with the wind gusts. Definitely need a steady strong breeze to make this reliable. A larger more stable kite would would also help I think.

Handy for quick deployments just to send out a few messages and GPS position, if there is wind of course.

I think a sturdy helium balloon with a strong string would be a more reliable option.

But kites are more fun! :grin:

3 Likes

So true! Also, most kites are rather light and breakdown to be very travel friendly. This method could really come in handy in certain emergency situations!

4 Likes

Finally got around to test flying my drone with Gotenna attached. Worked quite well. Link to my video on twitter: https://twitter.com/quirkyqrp/status/1082504858916122624?s=21

4 Likes

@ShootAnyAngle - Nice video on the drone-mounted goTenna Mesh (GTM)! What distance were you from the recipient of your message? Also, was it a 1-hop message, or were relay nodes involved? Finally, have you done range testing with your drone-mounted GTM to determine how far you can get with one hop?

3 Likes

The recipient wasn’t really far away. No relays in between. Further testing required. This was just the initial flight test to see if the little fold up drone could carry the weight of the Gotenna. If my free time lines up with a rain free weekend I’ll try a more substantial range test and report back here.

P.S. As long as the drone motors and other electronics don’t interfere with the GoTenna’s antenna I would expect a significant improvement in range

1 Like